Saturday, October 11, 2008

Stand Off

So this is what happened around the corner of my house last week. Yeap, no joke... I was quite mortified. Now you all can understand why I say I live in the ghetto! Don't get me wrong, we love our house and are grateful to have what we have (despite the location) but really-do you think I feel all that safe here? Not so much. I didn't take the photos below (PLEASE... there would have been more action involved! Love my zoom lens!) The other thing is, when I was driving home from work Jory called and told me what was going on so being me, I had to drive up to the scene to check things out. Of course I didn't have my camera with me! But when I got there, the whole street was FULL of cop cars. Every news crew was there as well. It was a pretty intense. I should have gone home to get the camera since I was so close, but who knows if I would have got robbed too! ;) Anyways, you can read the report below the photos. Enjoy... HA!

5 people in custody following standoff in Orem

A four-hour standoff in Orem, that started with a home invasion, ended peacefully.

It all started early this morning with a home invasion robbery at 1055 E. 800 North. Police say three suspects wearing masks and hoodies entered the home through an unlocked door.

Five people in the home were assaulted with a baseball bat as they lay in their beds.

Orem police Lt. Doug Edwards said, "They beat them with the bat, forced them to crawl in to the front room. They were being terrorized and threatened with a handgun."

The suspects took electronic equipment from the home and demanded drugs and money.

The suspects locked the victims in the bathroom, took their cell phones and told the victims they would kill them if they called the police. Then the suspects left the house.

Police officers spotted the suspects' car. The driver sped off when he noticed an officer pulling up behind him. The suspects drove into a trailer park, but got a flat tire. They abandoned the car and took off on foot.

Police recovered all the stolen property in the car. They also found the bloody bat and handgun.

Using information inside the car, they tracked the suspects to a home near 675 North and 1130 West.

After four hours, a SWAT team was about to go in when the suspects finally surrendered. They were taken to the police station to be questioned.

Police have not released any information on who the suspects are. Police don't believe this is a random act, although the suspects may have gotten the wrong home.


FiddleWiz said...

guess what the tragic thing is...I went to high school with two of the people arrested :( We weren't friends but I knew who they were.

Laura said...

Crazy! I too have witnessed a stand-off. I worked two buildings down from a McDonald's where a guy was holding everyone hostage with a gun because his girlfriend (who worked there) had broken up with him. But to live right in the mix of it all... intense! Stay safe my friend! Love you!

I lost my voice this weekend... otherwise I would call you!

MiNdY said...

Oh my gosh!! That is SOOOO scary!! My heart just sank and literally have tears in my eyes.

Jill said...

There is always something exciting going on somewhere. A little scary for you that it was that close to home!

Ashley said...

I stood on the corner and watched for at least an hour! Ty and I got in his truck and went around the block by your house, at one point we were accross the street from some swat guys with their guns, That was scary! they will shoot anyone!

Tiff said...

Holy cow, scary! And right by your house, wow. It was fun to see pics of the mountains, though. I miss them.