Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bamboo Fly Rod

My biggest interest right now is building a Bamboo Fly Rod. Sherry got me a book on how to build one and I've been researching ever since. I started building the rod about a month and a half ago. But first, I had to build some tools: planning forms, binder and an oven.




The process is to take a bamboo culm and split it, plane it, bind it, cook it, replane it, glue it, wrap it and finish it. I'm at the gluing phase.







Another process is building a grip. On most rods cork is used but I am using bark. I got some bark up the canyon and used a hole saw. I cut out some rings and will them together and then I will shape it.
These are the strips ready for gluing. They have been final tapered and will recieve glue and be bound again.

3 comments:

MiNdY said...

Look at you Jory! I knew you were a talented Fly fisherman, but making a bamboo flyrod!? Now thats talent! Its no wonder you and Cody like each other SOO much! ;)

MiNdY said...

ohp P.S. The shots are awesome as well! You two are quite the talented pair!

Alex~Hillary~Allyson~Olivia~Alayna~Phoebe said...

Wow Jory that's amazing! Are you regretting the book yet Sher? Hopefully he'll still have all his fingers when he's through, ouch :)